Monday, July 28, 2008

Noraebang Nuttiness

I heart noraebang.

Noraebang is the cooler twin sister of karaoke. Why cooler? Firstly, because you get to sing in your own private room, with friends, which eliminates (a) random drunkards ruining your evening of singing, and (2) atrociously long waits for not just your turn to sing, but your friends' turns, as well.


Secondly, the noraebang machine gives you a percentage score for how well you did. Sure, sometimes it scores a bit generously, but other times it can be pretty honest. Which was it on Saturday night when I saw, and sang, for the first time ever in my karaoke/noraebang years, a song by UFO? (UFO, a British hard rock band whose heyday was in the '70s and '80s [but please note that they are still putting out very good albums and touring] is one of my all-time favorite bands, and the song was a slow ballad called "Try Me.") It doesn't matter, my friends, because I scored 100%.

Thirdly, there are tambourines for your beat-keeping pleasure at most every noraebang. But on Saturday, at Kathleen's birthday party, the ante was officially upped. The noraebang she booked had a genuine, full Pearl drum kit! Amazing. And a pair of bongo drums right next to the kit.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've always wanted to do that! According to my friend John there's a place in Portland that is a similar style, so I can't wait to check it out =)

Joseph Perry said...

Really, in Portland? That's great! I think, given time, noraebang would become popular in the States. It would definitely make a lot of folks more comfortable about singing in front of other people.