Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Hellos and goodbyes, part one






I have made many, many wonderful friends here, and I am sure that I will meet more great folks, but it was really tough for me when Becky and Nicki left last month. They had been friends with each other for many years, but when I met them last May, they instantly welcomed me into their circle and we have been great friends ever since. I can't imagine what life would have been like during my first year in Korea without those two (cue Leonard Cohen's "Sisters of Mercy"). They are traveling around Asia for the next three months or so, and then Nicki is starting grad school, and Becky has some plans/schemes/ideas up her sleeve. I miss them a lot, but I know that we will see each other again in various places over the coming years.

Also saying goodbye recently were the very hilarious Heather (who, like Nicki, will move back to Chicago, where I will surely see them again), Sarah and Amy (both in Canada), and Sharon (from Scotland). Sharon's goodbye party was on Saturday, and I hope it is the final one I have to go to for 11 months or so.

Top to bottom:

1. Val, DooHee, and I at Nicki and Becky's going away party.
2. Nicki, her parents, and I.
3. Me (and DooHee), smiling even though the gals are leaving soon . . .
4. and 5. Becky and I.

No comments: