Thursday, April 1, 2010

One year later . . .

Wow, it is hard to believe I have not updated this blog in exactly one year. I've had plenty to say, but little time to write it in blog format. One reason I kept holding off is that there was so much to write about, and I didn't want to leave things out. Then I decided that, if I am ever going to start updating regularly again, I just need to start again, and not worry about catching you up on the past.

So here we are!

I have signed my contract for a third year at good old Saengyeon Elementary School, and that third term begins on Monday. I had my visa renewed on Tuesday, and it really started sinking in today that next week is (a) two full years in Korea (b) without visiting the States and (c) without yet even leaving Korea! I'll see if I can't rectify situation (c) this summer, and --- no promises, friends back home --- see if I can figure out a visit to some old stomping grounds next winter to remedy situation (b), as well.

My life here is fantastic. Everything tells me that I made the right choice by moving to Korea to teach, including the upcoming opening of a Taco Bell in Seoul. I'm in the best financial shape I've been in many years, I've made great friends, I've been able to live out my dream of going to film festivals for vacations, Cohen has been over here twice to visit me and returns again this summer, my school staff and students love me, and, as of December, I have a wonderful girlfriend, NaYoung.

Suffice it to say that I am happy. I miss the heck out of all of you back home, and I hope to see you again sooner rather than later. But interestingly, I don't miss too many of the amenities back home. I can see most films that I'd want to see, and thanks to Cinematheque, some that have never never been released Stateside by filmmakers I love, and I also get to see classics on the big screen on a regular basis. Now that the Taco Bell puzzle piece is in place, and now that a Canadian friend showed me where to buy black market Pop Tarts and Kraft Macaroni and Cheese last Saturday, the thing I miss most in this department is the variety of concerts by bands I love. As you can read from older posts, I've gotten into Korean indie rock and have gone to many of those shows, and I saw Judas Priest and Sonny Rollins in Seoul (while passing on Bob Dylan and Tom Jones this week). But on the semi-rare occasions when bands I'm interested in do pass through these parts, ticket prices are often prohibitive. Anyway, it is a small sacrifice when everything else is going so well.

I'm probably going to see former Thin Lizzy guitarist Gary Moore (here he is playing "Bad for You Baby") later this month, and allegedly Deep Purple will be in Seoul next month. So the rock comes, but not as often as I'd like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCHYvAf35yI&feature=PlayList&p=52B2BFA1ED170515&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=10

Thanks for checking here. Granted, there isn't much in this post that you haven't read about already on my Facebook page, but hey, not everyone reading this is on Facebook. It's time for bed now, so I'm going to sign off, but I'll do my best to update this on a regular basis, with fresh, non-Facebook material. Happy April, one and all!

Oh, and if you haven't yet seen "A Simple Man," please try to do so toute de suite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FYtprwg1As

1 comment:

Cocktail Maven said...

Hey, handsome!

Was just watching a BBC World News report about the grotesque inadequacies of healthcare in N Korea versus S. Korea and I thought of you. So glad you are doing well. It seems like Korea was a great move for you! I was thinking that if you have a camera hooked up to your PC and Skype, perhaps you and Paul and I could chat face-to-face sometime in the near future. If not, Paul and I know where to get one cheap, and we'd be willing to send a care package. Anything you need?

Big hugs,

-- Kristine (and Paul)